Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hello everyone! Hopefully my mom told you that I had written in my blog again..but by the time you read this, I will have written 2 entries that you need to catch up on. Ok, so I guess my prayers didn´t work....it is raining again as we speak...ughhh it never ends. The second part of class was actually kinda fun today. My mom thinks that I should move up a level and challenge myself, but I am learning alot of things that I didn´t understand before in the class that I am in now. We just stay on the same topic for a really long time and some of the stuff is rather high schoolish. Plus, I like the people that I am in the class with. Don´t worry Mom, I am learning plenty!!! Today, we had a bocadillo for lunch...which is what they call grinders here....it was ham and cheese (yes, I have come to love ham while I am here!!). We also had salad with tomatoes...no dressing, just oil, vinegar, and disgusting amounts of salt. Ewww. Then we went to the beach and the sun was extremely hot. The water here is normally really clear, but because of the rain, it is really dirty and murky. When it does rain here..which wasn´t often until we came...the rain comes from Africa and on its way, it picks up alot of dirt. That is why they say that you shouldn´t go outside when it rains in Spain because the dirt in the rain will ruin your clothes. I am getting quite tan..I know you are all jealous. My goal is to be ´´morena´´ by the end of this trip..which is what they call tan people here. The 8 of us are now in an Internet cafe, trying to book a hostel for our trip this weekend. We are taking a trip to Granada because it is supposed to be beautiful!!! We are all leaving on Friday at 2 and taking a 5 hour bus ride to Granada..which is south of Alicante. We will get there at 5 and night...go to a Flamenco show and then Saturday, we will go to the Alhombra..which is one of the new 7 Wonders of the World. My roommate Mallory went and said it is absolutely gorgeous. Me and 2 other girls..because of financial reasons...will be coming back to Alicante on Saturday. The other 5 girls will be traveling to Malaga on Saturday and staying over night there. They will come back on Sunday night. Although I wish I could do it..I have already spent alot of money here. I can´t believe that there are onle 9 more days till my 21st birthday. I bought a purple dress the other day for 16 Euros to wear on that night. Ironically...that is the first night of the Fiesta de San Juan in Alicante...this huge festival that happens every year from June 20th to June 24th. Look it up...I heard it is supposed to be amazing and I am sooo excited!!! Alicante is amazing..but boring during the day..especially with the rain. Since it is a small town, there is only so much shopping and walking around you can do! haha. Let me tell you that I have amazing calves and thighs now...haha. I am definitly ready to come home and be comfortable when I do things. Here it is awkward to do everything..walk back home at night, order food, take a shower, eat dinner with my family...it is just different. It is really good for me because I feel like I have become more independent and I now have more self confidence in all areas of my life. It is really hard being around things that aren´t familiar to me and I can honestly say that I miss everyone from home more than I have missed them in my entire life. This trip has honestly made me so grateful for everything that I have back home. I can´t believe that 2 weeks have gone by already. In the beginning of the trip, everything was going by soo slow..but now I can´t believe that my time here is almost up. I am trying to enjoy every moment..but it is hard ina foreign country when you have to always be aware of your surroundings. I always try to imagine the first day that we arrived in Alicante..how petrified and uncomfortable I was...I honestly cried myself to sleep the first few nights because I was so frustrated with everything. Everyone knows how GREAT I am with change...hahaha..juuuust kidding!!!! :) I have made some really good friends here and met alot of different people from different countries. Don´t worry, I haven´t fallen in love yet! Almost..but not quite. The novelty of Alicante has worn off..but I am WICKED EXCITED to go to Granada this weekend. It will be something new for all of us and that makes me smile! I remember the first week we were in Alicante..I was in heaven and had never seen anything so beautiful in my life. It is ideal and so amazingly beautiful here!!! I can´t wait to show you the pictures. Okay well it has probably taken you 2 hours to read all of my posts...I always was a good writer...haha Mom! But I have to go eat dinner soon..mi madre told me that it was something caliente tonight...haha. We shall seeeeeeee....since I´ve been here I have eaten pork, spaghetti (for me that is a big step!!), sardines, shrimps with the brains and antennae still on, sepia, and ham. Aren´t you proud Mom? Ok well I really gotta go..I need some ice cream in my stomach right about now! I love you all and can´t wait to see you! P.S. In case you are wondering, I alreayd took 500 pictures...ooo baby...let´s have a picture party when I get home!!!!!!! Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like quite a time and place. We miss you and can't wait to see the pictures. Of course, it would be a "national" holiday for your birthday - are you sure they didn't just start it this year because you are a guest in their country and it's your 21st birthday??? Have fun, but, as always, be careful.
I Love you,
Auntie

DaDDiO said...

Hi BRITTY!!! So glad to read your blogs. Glad to hear you seem to be enjoying your time there..it will be an experience you will NEVER forget. Awesome you like ham now!! I can relate to the Swedish guys...I'm half Swedish you know!! It was REAL hot here Sunday-Tuesday...almost 100...broke a record yesterday. Today it was drier and in the 80s. Had some big storms last night. Lauren has been working and making mucho deniro...how's that?? Hope you have a blast on your field trip...stay SAFE and be SMART!!! I LOVE YOU!!!! Can't wait to take you out for your birtday seniorita!!!! Adios Muchachos!!!

The Coes said...

hi britt!
it is so nice to read your blog and sounds like you are having such a "once in a lifetime" experience! we really miss you..the other day josh asked when you were coming home and i said less than 2 weeks..he said "that's really too long, mommy". we look forward to the picture party..good thing you warned your dad ..he can save his $$$ to develop the pics for you :)!!

can't wait to see you!! have fun this weekend and happy, happy early birthday!!

we love you!
joe, buffy, joshua & nathan

Anonymous said...

Britt, you are too funny. Foreign guys are creepy. I laughed at the dirty rain part.. figures. I could never live with some strange family in a different country. You know that weird uncomfortable feeling you get in your stomach when you're in a strange persons house... I call that the uncomfortable house feeling lol. I feel bad that you are turning 21 there.. it's not as fun because it's already legal to drink! We'll have to hit up Mohegan Sun or something when you come back now that you're allowed to gamble. Have fun.. and put some suntan lotion on. Love you, Lindsay